i live in grand junction co and me and boyfriend want to get a marriage license how and what do we need to get?

February 15, 2013 | By

Question by Heather: i live in grand junction co and me and boyfriend want to get a marriage license how and what do we need to get?
go about getting a license to be married and he is not a legal citizen and he has his green card

Best answer:

Answer by cyanne2ak
He has a green card. You're good. Go to your courthouse and fill out the application. It usually costs anywhere from $ 15 to $ 50. Take cash with you.

Add your own answer in the comments!

The imperious Lovenest - sorry about occasional camera shake towards the end, it was getting a bit rough down the front! Cambridge Junction - 21 November 2012

Filed in: Weddings | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments (1)

  1. wizjp

    Identification: Acceptable forms for proof of age are as follows: Drivers License, Passport, Visa, Birth Certificate, Military ID, or state issued ID Card.

    Social Security Number: Must be given when applying for a license. If either party does not have a social security number, they must sign an affidavit when applying for the license.

    Application Form: Both male and female applicants must appear in person to complete and sign the marriage application. If one party cannot appear due to illness, is out of state, or incarcerated, he or she must obtain an ABSENTEE APPLICATION from the Clerk and Recorder’s office. The party applying must bring the absentee application along with identification for the absent party. Applicants need not be residents of Colorado. ABSENTEE APPLICATIONS MUST BE NOTARIZED.

    Previous Marriages: If either party has been divorced or widowed, we need to know the date, County and State. We do not need proof. The couple will be required to swear under oath that all information given is true and correct.

    Ceremony: A marriage may be solemnized by a judge of a court of record, a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination or Indian nation or tribe. As of August 1993, a couple themselves can solemnize their own marriage.

    Cousin Marriages: Yes.

    Common Law Marriages: Yes. Common Law Marriage – Recognized. See, “Common Law Marriage in Colorado,” 16 Colo. Law. 252 (1987); Crandall v. Resley, 804 P.2d 272 (Colo. App. 1990).

    Marriage by Proxy: Yes. If a party to a marriage is unable to be present at solemnization, he may authorize in writing a third person to act as his proxy. Sec. 14-2-109(2).

    Same Sex Marriages: No.

    Officiants: Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (C.R.S 14-2-109).
    They must apply for paper work from the County Courthouse in order to do this.
    However, friends or relatives can not solemnize their marriage. Out-of-state Clergy
    need not be registered in Colorado.

    Solemnizing a Marriage: Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (perform one’s own marriage ceremony). According to Colorado Revised Statute 14-2-109, a marriage may be solemnized by a judge of a court; by a court magistrate; by a retired judge of the court; by a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages; by Indian tribe officials; by clergy; by the parties to the marriage. If you wish to solemnize your own marriage, you will be responsible for acquiring, completing and returning the license to marry to the appropriate county Office of the Clerk and Recorder.

    Grounds for Annulment: Lack of capacity to consent at time solemnized, under-age (not cured by consent of parents or court), fraud, jest or dare, duress and impotency (unknown to other party at time of marriage), and any prohibited marriage. Sec. 14-10-111. See, “Annulments in Colorado,” 22 Colo. Law. 2249 (1993).
    Valid: License is valid for thirty (30) days. If either one of you is on probation or parole, you will need special authorization.

    It is important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office or county clerk before making any wedding or travel plans.

    Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.

    Have a question? Ask it! Know an answer? Share it!

    To notify us of corrections or additions send an email to update@usmarriagelaws.com. Please include the state and county information.